Alexandria During the Modern EraA. MuseumsThe Graeco–Roman museum (under Restoration) The Graeco–Roman museum was established in 1892. As there was an increased interest of keeping, and display the legacy of the eternal city. The museum houses priceless collection that principally dates from the third century B.C. up to the seventh A.D. The treasure of the museum is the collection of the Tanagra figurines, which represents young girls full of finesse charm and grace. They are standing with elegance, and midday dreamed in a long tunic and mantle, some of them wearing broad-rimmed hats. The Royal Jewellery Museum The royal jewellery museum was established in the palace of the noble Fatma El Zahraa in Raml district in 1986. the museum is a unique museum as it contains and displays possessions belonging to Mohamed Aly Dynasty (1805-1953). The objects displayed present unknown pages of the modern history of Egypt inside royal palaces. They are made of platinum, gold, silver, and spices of precious stones turned the museum into a rare, huge jewelry box.” The National Museum of Alexandria The museum occupied a palace built in 1928 in the elegant Latin quarter of the city. It contains about 1800 pieces represent the Egyptian history. The museum is divided into 3 sections. The first section (the basement) where the pharaonic antiquities are displayed, the most interest pieces are Akhenaton’s Hatshepsut’s heads and statue of the God Ammon. The Graeco–Roman section contains 350 among them a rare mosaic adorned in color with Medusa head, Tanagra figurines collection and extracted submarine monuments. The last section contains Coptic, Islamic and Mohammed Aly Dynasty belonging. Cavafis’ House The house was eminent Alexandria–born Greek poet Constantine Cavafy (1863–1933) used to live. UNESCO considers Cavafy one of the ten civilization pioneers in the past century, his poetry has been translated into more than 20 languages. The museum was officially inaugurated on 16-11-1992. Its halls include a bedroom, furniture, and his personal possessions, in addition to some ancient Roman fountains, a throne presented to him by the Greek patriarchy, pictures and portrays of the Cavafy’s family and of some famous figures. Fine Arts Museum of Alexandria It is located in Menche st., at Muharram Bey. It was inaugurated in 1953. The museum was built in line with the state-of-the-art standards, including many showrooms, an art library, and a cultural center to hold concerts and present theatre and cinema shows as well as organizing local and international exhibitions. The museum shows masterpieces of sculpture and paintings with an annex of Arabic calligraphy Museum and architectural patterns over the centuries. Muhmoud Sa’ed Centre of Museums It is located at 6 Muhammed Sa’ed Pasha, Ganakles St., It was inaugurated on 17/4/2000. It comprises three museums for possessions of Mahmoud Sa’ed, Adham and Seif Wanly, in addition to the Modern Egyptian Art Museum, plus a number of gallery rooms for organizing exhibitions. The Museum represents part of the social and artistic memory of the nation, a living university where the Egyptian can see and feel the spirit of his ancestors, his history, as an original material for learning and a launching pad in his artistic pursuit. B. Modern CityNuzha, Antoniadis, Flowers, and Zoological gardens The Nuzha, Antoniadis, flowers, and zoological gardens occupy the eastern part of the ancient Ptolemaic suburb of Eleusis. This suburb was devoted by Ptolemy II (285–246 B. C) to the ancient Greek goddess the goddess of agriculture, and fertility, and the goddess of the spring. The word Eleusis means paradise so in this district, and inside the gardens, man feel happiness. Antoniadis Palace and Gardens Accessible from Nuzha garden, Antoniadis garden belonged formerly to Mohamed Aly Pasha, and then passed to Khedive Ismail (1863–1878) from whom the late sir John Antoniadis bought. The garden is full of Botanic wealth, tropical giant trees, such as rubber tree, palm tree, and sycamore, …etc. The palace of Antoniadis and the gardens were designed in 1860 by the French architect Paul Richard as a copy of Versailles, the magnificent and historical palace in Paris. It includes a number of marble statues in the principal garden which lead to the entrance of the palace by south. Nouzha Gardens Nouzha gardens, was known since long time as “jardin de pastreé “as Khedive Ismail adopted a plan of creation a pleasant gardens in the area. The gardens is full of the most beautiful flowers, trees, creeping plants a footpath lined by two rows of giant palm trees (faces the main entrance of Antoniades gardens) An kiosk in middle of the gardens offer the promenaders a set shaded by fine and rare flowers. Shallalat Gardens The garden marks the eastern border of the medieval city, and the beginning of Mohamed Aly reign. In the middle of the green landscape stile survive, the remains of the medieval wall and towers, and fort of Mohamed Aly period. Many Greco–Roman antiquities were found in the gardens. Recently an amazing marble statue suggested to be of Alexander the great was discovered in the gardens , the gardens is full with great variety of old green trees, flowers, and tropical plants. Kom El Nadoura hill Kom el Nadoura is distinguished by the value of its Location, and the role it played throughout the course of history. The site overlooking the picturesque scene of the western harbor and the city as a whole. The hill is a mountain of accumulation, the superficialities of the site is over 6 acres, and the height of the hill is about 25 in the Fatimid Era a tower was erected in the site to serve the port. Ras el Tin palace Ras el Tin palace is the oldest and greatest palace ever built in modern Alexandria. The palace is situated in an extraordinary location as it is located in the westernmost side of the legendary Pharos island. It was built under the reign of Mohamed Aly and was officially inaugurated in 1847. The palace was so called after the fig trees that once grew on the site of the palace. El Montazh Palaces El Montazah area owed its name and fame to Khedive Abbas Helmi II, who offered the area its name which means (promenade) in English and was chosen by him to build the Salamlek Palace in 1892, which was designed by the genius architect, Dimitri Fabricious Pasha. The Salamlek was designed in Austrian style as a hunting lodge inside a forest. In 1927, king Fouad built the second palace in the area, the Haramlek to be the royal summer residence. Under the reign of King Farouk, the bridge and tea pavilion were built. Nowadays, the whole area constitutes an amazing historical and great architectural museum, within a lovely Mediterranean landscape and turned the most eastern side of the city into a great twinkle touristic zone. Port of Alexandria Alexandria Port is one of the oldest ports in the world. The earliest port facilities were built in 1900 BC in then-village of Rhakotis, to serve coastal shipping and supply the island of Pharos. The Port of Alexandria is on the West Verge of the Nile Delta between the Mediterranean Sea and Mariut Lake in Alexandria. During World War I, the British Mediterranean Expeditionary Force used the established port as its main base for troops and supplies bound for the landing at Cape Helles. Bibliotheca Alexandrina King Ptolemy I and later Ptolemy II commissioned the Library of Alexandria in 259 BC. The aim was to collect all the books in the world. It was one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world. A. M. Foster, the historian, described it as the best school in the world. It kept that title for more than 800 years. The fire of the Library was prior to the Arab Conquest of Egypt, and it is believed that Julius Caesar was the one who burnt the Library when he invaded Egypt in 49 BC, destroyed Alexandria, and hit its Lighthouse following the Battle of Actium. The Library of Alexandria was reborn in October 2002 to reclaim the mantle of its ancient namesake. It is not just an extraordinarily beautiful building; it is also a vast complex where the arts, history, philosophy, and science come together. The inauguration of the new library was attended by 3000 world figures. Upon the inauguration, the number of volumes amounted to 200.000 volumes, 4000 periodicals, 50.000 manuscripts and rare books and 5000 maps. The Bibliotheca Campus houses the Main Library, Young People Library, Taha Hussein Library (for the blind), Planetarium, Science Museum, Manuscript Museum, Antiquities Museum (1079 antique pieces representing Egypt`s history since the predynasty era, to the Islamic era), the International Institute of Science Studies and the Restoration Laboratory.